Diocese of Covington at 1125 Madison Ave., Covington, KY 41011-3115 US - Most Rev. Ferdinand Brossart, D.D.
|Most Rev. Ferdinand Brossart, D.D.|
The Fourth Bishop of Covington
Ferdinand Brossart was born on October 19, 1849 in Buchelberg, Bavaria. The Brossart family immigrated to the United States in 1851. The family settled in Cincinnati and became members of St. Michael Parish.
In 1861, the Brossart family relocated to the Gubser’s Mill area of Campbell County, Kentucky. Ferdinand Brossart studied for the Diocese of Covington at St. Mary Seminary in Cincinnati and the American College at Louvain, Belgium. Bishop Augustus M. Toebbe ordained Father Brossart on September 1, 1872, at the old St. Mary Cathedral in Covington.
Father Brossart’s early assignments in the diocese included appointments as the Assistant Pastor at Immaculate Conception Church in Newport, Pastor of St. Edward Church in Cynthiana, and Pastor of St. Paul Church in Lexington. Father Brossart gained a high reputation during a cholera epidemic in Millersburg, Kentucky and a smallpox epidemic in Lexington, by sacrificing his own health to minister to the sick and dying. In 1888, Father Brossart was appointed the Rector of the Cathedral Parish and Vicar General of the diocese. During this period Father Brossart edited the diocesan newspaper under the title of The New Cathedral Chimes.
In November 1915, Father Brossart was appointed the fourth Bishop of Covington. He was consecrated on January 25, 1916 by Archbishop Henry Moeller of Cincinnati. During his administration, Bishop Brossart worked diligently to bring the ornamentation of the present Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption to completion.
Bishop Brossart resigned due to ill health March 14, 1923. He retired to St. Anne Convent in Melbourne, Kentucky where he died on August 6, 1930. He was laid to rest at St. Anne Convent Cemetery in Melbourne.